Port of Motril
Just 90 miles from the shores of Africa, the Port of Motril is one of Spain's newest ports, although it's still been in existence for more than 100 years. Its modern installations and strategic location on the Strait of Gibraltar means the Port of Motril has great potential for transport and trade between the European and African continents.
Located in the southern part of the Peninsula, construction of the port began in 1908 with the aim of exporting sugar, salt and iron. After more than 100 years of experience and evolution, the entrance faces SE and is 250 metres wide with a depth of 12 metres.
During the last Strait of Gibraltar crossing operation, the Port of Motril was one of the ports with the biggest increase in passenger and vehicle traffic, as shown by statistics
How to get there
The Port of Motril has direct access to the A-7 motorway, which provides links to the following cities: Granada (30 minutes); Málaga (45 minutes), Almería (45 minutes), Jaén and Antequera (60 minutes).
Bus links connect the city of Motril to the beach and port, as well as to other areas of the province of Granada, Andalusia and Spain, these leaving daily from the bus station.
The train stations closest to the Port of Motril are: Granada (40 minutes), Almería (50 minutes), Málaga (50 minutes) and Linares/Baeza (90 minutes).
The Port of Motril has three airports nearby, around 45 minutes away by road, these being: Granada (40 minutes), Almería (50 minutes) and Málaga (50 minutes).
Amongst its services, the Port of Motril has customs facilities and infrastructure accessible for persons with disabilities.
The Port of Motril has three outdoor car parks with 24 hour security, found within the Port itself.
Free parking is available for passengers.
- All passengers travelling on routes leaving from Motril are eligible to use the secure car parking facilities for free.
- It is not possible to reserve a place.
- IMPORTANT: Maximum stay of 8 days
- To access the carpark, please inform the harbour police that you wish to go there upon entry to the Port.
- They will take your details so that you are able to park your vehicle.
- The carpark is located in the south pre-boarding zone for Melilla and Tangier.